Sunday, January 27, 2013

My first guitar...

The feeling when you play any guitar you want like nobody's business in a guitar store is simply awesome! It's not like I can play the guitar well (just yet!), but the moment when you strum a chord and the crisp sound you hear... the only thing I can say in order to express how I felt was, Wah... *shining eyes*... All those guitars hanging off the walls just look so beautiful. So are the prices, of course...

Because I'm just a beginner, there's no need to get an excessively expensive guitar. But I've learnt that in order to keep yourself motivated, you  must at least like the instrument itself enough for you to pick it up and play. There is, in fact, a difference in the sounds of different guitars, having compared few guitars at a time.

The initial budget was Cad 250. With a model in mind, Edmond and I headed into Steve's Music. Unfortunately, they don't have the model that was just within my budget. Alright... We looked around. I have to admit, I felt so happy just looking at those guitars hanging on the wall. Being shy at first, both of us didn't even dare to touch any of the guitars. Thanks to Edmond for asking, we finally tested our first guitar. Wah... Feels so nice. A completely different kinda feeling from the classical guitar that I have at home. It's not like I'm giving excuse for not playing the guitar at home, but it just doesn't fit, both the fret board and body sizes. Wasn't much of a big fan of guitar then, didn't even know about the difference between a classical guitar and an acoustic guitar until recently. But we learn, don't we? And so I did. I'm getting myself an acoustic guitar now. Continue to try... Hmm...
I have a preference for the "cutaway" design, hence, that was at the back of my head all the while since I decided that I am really going to get myself a guitar. Busy looking for mouthed guitar, then there was this one "un-mouthed" guitar that caught my eyes, or both Edmond's and mine. It's a cherry sunburst-coloured guitar with a "humming-bird-patterned" pick guard. But there's no "cutaway" design... Hmmm... Gave it a try. *Strum*... Wah... (in my heart) I like this sound. 
Dilemma kicked in, apart from the budget part which was at the back of my head all the time, this one or the one with a cutaway...?
Dilemma... Dilemma...
Have to thank Edmond for his objective advise... Him telling me he knows I like the cutaway shape and that I'm trying to convince myself that the sound is not too bad too compared to the Hummingbird. Haha... You were right... I was just convincing myself. But the shape isn't gonna be as useful in a sense as the sound. True... 

Finally, after calling Papa just so I feel better spending over my budget, haha... I decided to opt for the Hummingbird. For one, the sound. For two, the colour. For three, the rock kinda feeling. LOL. I'm no rocker. And my decision was reassured when Mike, one of the people in the shop, told us that the Hummingbird has a solid wood top while the other one has a laminated top. I guess that's why it sounded better? Anyway, paid the deposit and will wait for 3 days for them to transfer the last remaining stock that they have over from Missisauga.

Wo hooo! I'm pretty sure I'll be thinking about it for the rest of these few days until I finally got it. ^^V
Hopefully nothing goes wrong. *pray*
And I promised myself that I will persevere, unleash the potential of the guitar and myself! 

I don't care what others say... It's just... argh... hurtful sometimes. 




1 comment: